©2019 by Designer of my Life

  • Designer of my Life

Amp up your Omegas: Find out why fish is one of the healthiest foods you can consume!

Updated: Oct 12, 2019


On Tuesdays, we explore the body, experimenting with our taste buds, flirting with the satisfaction these meals have on our minds and bodies & enjoying life's simple exotic pleasures.


On the first edition of #TastyTuesday, I was inclined to share the bountiful health properties of fish and recommend a great lunch spot in San Juan for a mouth-watering, nutritious meal.

Fish is an essential nutrients powerhouse & rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamin A, B-6, & B-12.


What is Omega-3 fatty acids?

They are essential fats for early growth & development, specially beneficial for heart, brain, and eye health. They belong to the polyunsaturated fats family.


There are three main omega-3s:

EPA (Eicosa-Pentaenoic Acid)

DHA (Docosa-Hexaenoic Acid)

Found in fatty fish such as:

• Herring: Also contains good source of protein, vitamin D, B-12 & selenium

• Tuna: protein, selenium, vitamin D

• Salmon: high levels of protein, potassium, magnesium, B vitamins & selenium

Lake trout: protein, potassium, vitamin D

Mackerel: vitamin B-12 & selenium

Cod produces the oil in its liver (Cod liver oil)


ALA (Alpha-Linolenic Acid)

Found in plant sources such as nuts and seeds including:

• Chia seeds: high in fiber & protein

Flaxseed: protein, fiber, magnesium, manganese

Hemp seeds: protein, magnesium, iron, zinc

• Walnuts/ Edamame



Omega-3 Properties

Anti-inflammatory

✔ Reduces liver fat

✔ Omega-3 intake is associated with higher bone mineral density (BMD)


What health benefits does Omega-3s offer?

1. ✔ Considering heart disease is the leading cause of death worldwide, an important benefit is its support to 1) heart health, making omega-3s an important component of our diet.

• It promotes decreased risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats that may cause heart attacks.)

• Can lower elevated triglycerides (blood fat that can cause cardiovascular diseases/stroke.) Triglycerides are the most common fat in your body; they come from the food we ingest and take the form of extra calories that you eat, but your body does not need right away.


2.Brain food you say? Your brain is made up of nearly 60% fat, much of it omega-3 fatty acids! Omega-3s are thus essential for normal 2) brain function.

• Eating fish aids in experiencing slower age-related brain function decline/memory loss (i.e. Alzheimer’s/dementia.)

• Fish oil supplements have proven to prevent or improve symptoms of some mental disorders, including schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

• Additionally, Omega-3s, specially EPA-rich ones (Eicosa-Pentaenoic Acid) help reduce symptoms of depression.

• It has also been linked to preventing behavioural disorders such as ADHD, reducing hyperactivity, inattention, and aggression in children.


3. ✔ Similarly to the brain, our eyes rely on omega-3 fats, consuming fish contributes to normal 3) eye development.

• Reduces risks of age-related macular degeneration (AMD.)


How do I obtain the required omega-3s?

The World Health Organisation (WHO) and the American Heart Association recommend eating 2 servings of fish weekly due to its health benefits.


It can also be obtained via fish oil, the fat is extracted from fish tissue and contains around 30% of omega-3s including EPA & DHA. The remaining 70% is made up of other fats, Vitamin A & D.



#TastyTuesday Recommendation


Avocado Cocina Local & Patio Bar

San Patricio, San Juan, Puerto Rico


Avocado is one of my most frequented spots for a bite. Great for occasions including business lunches and evening drinks.


I highly recommend the sesame seared tuna you see below; it is exquisite. Add a glass of rosé/white wine for a fresh afternoon. Visit avocado or get creative in the kitchen!

This side dish is superb! I used to think cauliflower was bland and unattractive, until I saw its versatility as a healthy alternative to starchy recipes. Health & flavour proven with this roasted cauliflower puré, I am devout. You can also make it at home!


Explore your palate & ENJOY!